Webserver and ESP8266...what it is possible to do ?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

Mathy

Webserver and ESP8266...what it is possible to do ?

Post by Mathy »

Hello,

I would like to add a wifi link to lots of sensors ( 3 axis accelerometer, gyro, magneto, pressure, voltage, current, humidity, etc etc ), and I would like to access them by a webserver to see theirs values in real time and program a datalogging session.
Store them to an SDHC card and download the file on PC by the wifi link.

Im interessted in the ESP8266 module who is supported by Flowcode but I saw that the ESP8266 is able to embedd the webpage on its own memory, had some alternative firmware optimized for webserver etc etc.

What I would like to know is if there are some limitations due to the Flowcode driver with the ESP8266.
Is there a way to have more than 4 webpages ?
How many variable can I see in real time on the webpage ?
Where are stored the webpage ? On the ESP8266 itself or in the PIC flash memory ( 24FJ256GA106 ).

Do you think my dream is do able ( with many hours of hard work and tons of Coca Cola on the desk ) with Flowcode and the ESP8266 module ?

Thank you for your help :)

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Webserver and ESP8266...what it is possible to do ?

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The component is an easy way to use the ESP8266 to display up to 4 web pages hosted from the micro's ROM and with a fixed number of dynamic in/out variables.

However you could instead use the RS232 component to talk to the ESP8266 module and send the outgoing HTML from data in a SD card. I am about to undertake a similar project so I'll let you know how I'm getting on. This should allow for all sorts such as CSS, Images etc essentially a full HTML web server, maybe also FTP.

Rudi has a way of compiling Flowcode code straight to the ESP8266 module but this has not been released yet for me to play with so I don't know what features he has supported.

Mathy

Post by Mathy »

Hello Benj,

Thank for you your reply :)
I bought two ESP 07 this morning. I will have a look by myself very soon.
But as your know, Im very far to be a C expert.
I played 2 years ago with the Microchip TCP IP stack on a Olimex board : https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Dev ... t/PIC-WEB/

It was very intereting because I had some results very quickly but it was too hard for me to understand !
I have to follow C lesson to be a king.

Today, I would like to do the same thing but with wifi and I saw this chip and saw that it is supported by Flowcode !
I told myself, Benji has made a component that download a website telepathically in two mouse clicks, right ? :mrgreen:

I have some question for you :

When you said "a fixed number of dynamic in/out variables" : How many and why a fixed number ? Is it due to the power calculation limit ? hard to do ? something else ?
When you said " However you could instead use the RS232 component to talk to the ESP8266" Is it possible to mix the ESP8266 component to use the already made function with the RS232 component or there will be conflicts ?
Im very interessting in your project because off CSS. It is something possible with the Microchip stack but I don't really know how it works.

Have a nice day,

Mathy

Mathy

Post by Mathy »

Hello Benj,

I reveived my ESP 07 and Im playing with it right now.

Your component works well. Im able to init and join my home AP.

Im trying to do the exact same thing but with my own macro using RS232 component and interrupt to help myself to understand how it works.
I have no problem to send AT command but Im interested in how do you parse the ESP8266 replies ?
Actually, I can sort 'OK' or 'ready' in the ESP8266 replies but with a complex flowchart. Is there a technic to parse the received data ?

Im aware that is it not a Flowcode problem, just a understanding problem.
If you don't want to share your work, I understand because it is a Flowcode library. No problem :wink:

Thank you

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Mathy,

Great to hear the component is still doing it's thing and working well.

The source code is available here on the forums. It's probably not the most current version of the component but hopefully should show you how we did things like the data parsing.

http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... 362#p63105