ARM USB

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

cs

ARM USB

Post by cs »

The ARM device not identifying itself is a major problem. This means there is no way to associate a usb driver with it. When you connect the device for the first time to the USB port, it identifies itself and asks for the driver and correctly locates and installs it after pointing it to the folder containing the drivers.

The next time you try to put it into programming mode, it does not identify itself. It says "usb device detected" and then does not recognize any drivers when pointed to the folder containing the drivers (remember you already had installed the drivers). Right now the board is stuck and I wanted to SAM-BA it back to it's original state, since I cannot associate any driver with it there is no virtual COM port for the SAM-BA to talk to. The situation is the same on Win2000 and XP.

cs

ARM USB

Post by cs »

BTW, I had of course encountered the problem before. So I figured a way to program it using JTAG and the Yagarto IDE, luckily I had purchased a JTAG pod. I used this method about 60-70 times without issues. Now that it seems to be stuck, I wanted to use SAM-BA to get it back to its default image. The idea of using SAM-BA to "reset" a ARM board by flashing a default image if it becomes "stuck" seems to be common from advice I got over the internet.

But essentually mLoader/USB has been useless for programming with this board due to the device not providing a USB identification. There is a method of tricking the system into installing the board USB drivers by modifying the default usb.inf, but that is *UGLY* and can permanently hammer the system default usb driver if you are not careful.

Please address this urgently, this show stopper is hurting what otherwise is a good product.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

cs,

It looks like something has gone wrong with your installation. We can reprogram this board here with mLoader without problem.

On the CD, the "ARMBoardDriverInstaller.exe" should be run. This will "pre-install" the drivers. Following this, whenever the board is set to program mode, the drivers should be found automatically (Windows may launch the "new hardware" wizard when the device is plugged into a different USB port, but selecting "install automatically" should find the drivers ok).

This pre-installation for the drivers may fail in non-English countries due to a small bug in the XML file. A fix for this is covered in another post.

If you are still having problems, please email technical support with some more details and we'll try to get to the bottom of this problem.

deserettaylor

Re: ARM USB

Post by deserettaylor »

I am having the same problem. It worked once, I now have one LED lit on the eblock board. It will not work again, exactly the same as the previous post. I have tried every manual method that I know. I get the USB device not recognized message every time I push the program button.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Running the "ARMBoardDriverInstaller.exe" file should solve this problem. Are there any errors when you run this file?

KKE

Post by KKE »

Sorry to have to stir this one up... I have encoutered the same problem the EB034 does not identfy itself.

And to make things even more strange... it does on an other computer.

I've tried all suggested solutions, nothing works ... exept the other computer.

My USB port isn't broken since it does manage to communicate with other devices.

KK.

KKE

Post by KKE »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that if i try to connect my ARM to the same USB port but with a Hub in between it does correctly identifies itself.

Seems like the port somehow gets poisened with "Unkown USB device" during execution ...

How can i correct this problem?

KK.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

You get the Unknown USB Device message bpopping up during program execution because your pprogram is toggling the USB enable pins. To get around this move the jumper J18 to the I/O position and you will stop getting this error.

I think the problem with the USB connectivity is due to the USB hardware and Windows. Please can you try the fix detailed here and see if this solves your problem.
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... .php?t=508

KKE

Post by KKE »

Hi Ben,

I forgot to mention i'm using Win XP SP3, so the workarround you suggested doesn't work for me. This really is strange behaviour. Like I said; if i put a small hub in between it works fine. But than again from the USB point of view that is normal behaviour. A USB port on a Hub connected to the computers USB port is not the same port than the computers USB port.

Do you know some method for manual connection, forcing Windows to load the correct driver might be a solution.

Regards,

KK

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

I use a freeware program called "Chily device driver backup" It allows you to uninstall, install and backup drivers from your PC should you need to. Do you have a second direct USB port on your PC that you can try. Are you using a laptop. You could try doing my power suggestion for the USB root hubs rather then the ARM board device. I have had luck with getting Microsoft mice working using this method so it could also apply to our ARM board.

KKE

Post by KKE »

Hi Ben,

Sorry no inprovement. However i did get the USB port to recognize my ARM board by setting the Power supply jumper to USB.

It still doesn't see the EB031 when the PSU is selected. :cry:

KK

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

What external PSU are you using?

KKE

Post by KKE »

A simple 9VDC power supply

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

Thats really odd. Wonder if it is a tolerance issue. All the power supplies we use here at Matrix work fine with the ARM board. In fact we have not come across a issue with supply power since this board was released a few years ago. I wonder if the bridge rectifier or something similar has been damaged somehow which is stopping the device from running. Do you have a multimeter which you can use to confirm if the 3.3V regulator is getting power or not when using the external supply.

KKE

Post by KKE »

Yes it is really odd... and it gets stranger ... When connected to the PSU the AT91SAM device works perfectly !!! It just doesnt get recognized by my computer.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

For the computer to recognise the device you must insert the USB cable and then hold the PROG button while you tap the RESET button. This causes the device bootloader to boot up and connect to the PC as the EB031 board. When running normally eg using the PSU the device will enter user mode which allows the users code to run. If you wish you can include code in your programs to tap into the USB functionality without the aid of the bootloader software. The bootloader software is transparent for normal operation with the mLoader tool but is known to occasionally become corrupted after programming. If you are having problems getting your PC to recognise your device using the Boot method described above then do not give up hope. We include instructions and pre-compiled bootloader code with our Flowcode ARM software that allows you to reflash the bootloader if it does ever become corrupted and stops functioning.

Note:
The PC may come up with the message "USB device not recognised" when the board is connected to the USB. This may simply be due to the fact that your program is toggling the pins connected to the USB circuitry. Simply move the USB/IO jumper to the I/O position or select different port pins for your application.