PPP & Flowcode under Linux.

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

KeithSloan

PPP & Flowcode under Linux.

Post by KeithSloan »

Having in the past been hit by some Tojans, I now run as much software as possible under Ubuntu Linux. I do have a copy of Sun's VirtualBox installed which would allow me to run PPP and Flowcode under Windows, but would much prefer to run natively.

Is there any chance of a Linux native version of PPP? Or the ability to run Flowcode under WINE.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: PPP & Flowcode under Linux.

Post by Benj »

Hello

Flowcode does currently run under the Wine environment if you have all of the up to date Microsoft libraries installed. I tried this several months ago and it was working fine.

A big problem at the moment is that the matrix hardware and programming tools (PPP) requires windows drivers to allow them to function. We have looked at this in the past and it is just too much work to justify porting the entire application across to Linux for several reasons.

1) There are not very many people who require this.
2) All of our other programming tools would also have to be ported across.
3) We know a lot more about using USB devices through Windows then on Linux.

Finally the big reason we cannot currently support Linux is that the compiler (BoostC) only works under Windows.

I do use Linux and am trying to learn more about using it for devices but for now Flowcode and indeed Matrix products will remain Windows only.