Output a PDF file.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 7.

Moderator: Benj

Synergy6

Output a PDF file.

Post by Synergy6 »

Hi,
I would like to explore the possibility of an idea.
I would like to have a microcontroller (not yet determined) output a PDF file to a PC.

The device would collect variety of data, when required the user would plug the device into a computer. The device would then give access to PDF daily logs.
Ideally i dont want to be getting into use of SD cards etc. I would like the microcontroller to do all of the storing of data.

Anyone have any ideas on how this would be done?

Thanks

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Output a PDF file.

Post by Benj »

Hello,

PDF documents can be quite large so memory might be an issue and generating the file might require a lot of processing. There is also the issue of passing the file to the PC.

I would use some sort of intermediate server say a HTML server with PHP and MySQL and pass the log data to this using Ethernet or WIFI. Then your server can generate the PDF when needed. Your server can be online and this way you can use the system anywhere with internet access.

I did something similar here without the final convert to pdf.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18721&p=81103#p81090

PHP seems to have a few libraries for generating PDF files. Here is one recommended by StackOverflow.
http://www.fpdf.org/