Replicating an existing v4 flowchart in v7

An area to discuss 8-bit PIC specific problems and examples

Moderator: Benj

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Replicating an existing v4 flowchart in v7

Post by christoph »

Hi fellars,
I have recently jumped from v4 to v7 and I just cannot get to grips with v7 at all but I think must actually be easier to use though I am struggling!!
I simply want to produce exactly the same v4 working flowchart in v7 but I cannot understand the changes that have been made, in particular how to change the period/frequency. I have spent many hours on it so far so would be very grateful for some enlightenment. I have serched through the examples and forums but not found anything which has solved this. One or two appropriate things might have been helpful if I could have understood them.The attachment shows the v4 flowchart for the 'waa waa' siren piezo driver.

The main reason for doing this is that ALL my past flowcharts after Jan 2016 in v4 quite suddenly started taking anything up to 8 minutes to generate the hex file and then another load of minutes to download to chip so after much aggro but good forum feedback and no improvement I have since erased the hard drive on the computer in question,clean installed Vista - no difference!, installed new hard drive and clean installed new Windows 7 from purchased official disc - no difference!, had a fully working windows 10 laptop given to me, put another new hard drive in that and clean installed windows 7 from the disc and again no good!

Chris
Attachments
DIL Sounder Sweep output 12F1840 V2 - Copy.fcf
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Replicating an existing v4 flowchart in v7

Post by Benj »

Hi Chris,

I have loaded the project into v7 and the only problem I came across was that the PWM channel property had become unset. I have fixed this for you and assigned PWM channel 1 to the component via the properties window.

Another minor problem was you have a line of C code to configure the internal oscillator speed, I have changed this so it is in the correct upper case syntax for the v7 PIC compiler.
DIL Sounder Sweep output 12F1840 V2.fcfx
(14.85 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Can you say which parts of Flowcode 7 your struggling with and we will try and guide you through.

The project explorer window is a good one to have open. My standard layout looks something like this.
v7Layout.jpg
v7Layout.jpg (172.04 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
We have some video tutorials here which may help.
[/youtube]

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Benj,
Brilliant! Thankyou so much!
So am I right in thinking that I CAN load my fully working and existing v4 projects into v7 directly (as this one has proved it would eliminate the very long processing to chip times)? I tried to do that yesterday but it didn't seem to work for me - is there a particular approach?
The part I got stuck on was how to keep the duty at 50% whilst changing the frequency (to mimic a police siren sounding alarm). I understand the duty part but at the moment still not how you changed the frequency but kept the 50% duty cos it looks much the same as the original v4 flowchart. I have obviously missed something and will look more closely at it shortly.

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Benj,

I was laying out the screen as you suggested and I found the 'figures' for the PWM under properties which is what I was puzzled about! Many thanks!

I would still like to know of the appropriate way to transfer my existing v4 flowcharts to v7 and whether they need any further alteration in v7. I note the syntax change to OSSCON for instance - is there a list of syntax changes going up through the versions or is it just the odd ones here and there?

Chris

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Chris,

I just opened the file using Flowcode 7 and it converted it directly. When opening a previous project file in v6 or v7 you may need to change the file type from .fcfx to one of the older variants.
Open.jpg
Open.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
The register syntax changed from v6 to v7 as we changed compiler from BoostC to XC8. Registers are now upper case. This should hopefully be the only major change that will effect your C code.

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Many thanks Benj,

Chris