CAN E-Block Module or CAN on Chip

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Jay Dee

CAN E-Block Module or CAN on Chip

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi,
I am looking at the most logical way for me to approach the E-blocks. I want to do quite a few projects based on CAN and so have been looking at the CAN E-Blocks Bundle, however is there any reason why I cannot use a standard E-Blocks PIC board and use a PIC the CAN already built in?
I already know I would want to include a Card Reader and LCD E-Blocks etc in whatever setup I bought and was considering building a bundle that was more suited to my envisaged projects.
Any Pro/Cons in going this route? Would a CAN on Chip route stop me following the E-Blocks CAN tutorials etc...
Regards, John.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: CAN E-Block Module or CAN on Chip

Post by Benj »

Hello John

Unfortunatley Flowcode does not currently support the internal CAN peripherals. Also if you used the internal CAN peripheral then you would still be missing the CAN voltage driver chip that is required external to the microcontroller. You therefore have two options either to use the CAN E-Block or attempt to rewrite the CAN component to use the internal registers. Either way the end result should be compatible with the CAN tutorials.

If you are building your own bundle of parts then it may be worth talking to justin@matrixmultimedia.co.uk to see if he can do anything for you.

The Card reader E-Block will require you to use an 18F PIC device to allow the 512 byte data buffer to work.

Jay Dee

Re: CAN E-Block Module or CAN on Chip

Post by Jay Dee »

Ah...Thanks for that.
John.