Data Logging with a MMC/SD card

Tips, Tricks and methods for programming, learn ways of making your programming life easier, and share your knowledge with others.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Please rate this article out of 5: (1 being the worst and 5 being the best)

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
100%

Total votes: 5

Benj
Matrix Staff

Data Logging with a MMC/SD card

Post by Benj »

One use for an embedded system is for it to sit off somewhere recording values from sensors or other external sources. An example of this would be a weather station where rain fall, wind speed and cloud cover etc can be monitored. A useful function for a data logger such as this would be to allow for the data to be output in a way that is easily removed from the system to be used later, stored or further processed by a computer.

Using the EB037 MMC card reader E-block it is possible to write sensor values directly to a MMC or SD card into a format that is instantly recognised by a computer. MMC and SD cards have to be formatted to use a file structure before they can hold data. The Flowcode FAT16 component can only read and write to cards that are formatted to the FAT16 file standard. To do this you can insert the card into a computer, right click the card and select "Format...." making sure that the file system is set to FAT or FAT16. Note : make sure you have backed up any data from the card before formatting. The FAT16 component is a little resource hungry so it will not work with PIC12 and PIC16 series devices this is due to problems allocating the 512 byte sector buffer, more on this later.

The Flowcode FAT16 component is still in a beta stage so it must be invoked via the Flowcode custom component. To do this, simply copy the Custom_Code.C file into your Flowcode V3/Components directory. The component can then be added to your Flowcode program by clicking on the custom component icon marked “user”. Connections to the EB037 MMC card reader E-block are configured by clicking on the menu on the custom component and selecting properties from the list. The create time and date are simple constants that define the creation time and date of the files.

Data_Logger_Simple_Slow

The first example file will create a file onto the MMC/SD card named “log1.csv”. If the file already exists on the card then an error message will be displayed. After the file has been created the program enters a loop, which takes a sample from ADC channel 0 and then writes the value to the card in the following format “Sample_Value, ”. Once the samples have been written to the card it can be removed from the embedded system and inserted into a computer where the analogue values will load straight into Microsoft Excel. As each sample performs an individual write to the disk this method of recording samples can be a little slow especially if you wish to achieve high-speed sampling rates.

Data_logger_Sector_Fast

Each file on the card is made up of a number of disk sectors. Each sector is 512 bytes wide so therefore the minimum physical file size is always 512 bytes. Therefore to increase the productivity of the program it is possible to write the entire 512 byte sector to the card in one command. This time the entire 512 byte buffer is filled by taking 128 samples. Each sample is formatted into a string so that it is 3 characters wide with a fourth character to hold the comma. Therefore 128 x 4 bytes = 512 bytes or one disk sector. The example fills 5 complete sectors with ADC samples, which again can be opened straight into Microsoft Excel. Again if the file name “log2.csv” already exists on the disk then the program will return an error.
Attachments
MMC-SD Data Logger.zip
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 1453 times

achillis1

Re: Data Logging with a MMC/SD card

Post by achillis1 »

Hello,
I have just downloaded the mmc-sd data logger.zip and run the software. I do not know if I am doing something wrong but when I run the program the LCD continuously displays "waiting for card". Also when I do "step into" the program loops in the " WHILE retval > 0" loop icon. Also when I open the component macro icon with display name "Init FAT16" the component "custom(0)" is highlighted but no macro is selcted in the right collumn under macro; and when I press OK to close the window a message appears:"please select a macro". Should not be a macro already been selected?
Thank you in advance,
Best regards.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

Have you copied the custom code file into your Flowcode V3/Components directory? I think this could be the problem.

Then try closing Flowcode and reopening the Flowcode file from the archive.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

You are right Ben, I did not copy the custom code.
But I have a question: when I try to copy the code it seems that another file exists with the same name, should I overwrite?
thank you,
Best regards.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

The file that is already there is a demo custom code file. You may backup the file first if you wish to keep hold of the demo. If you do not want to make a backup then you will not break anything by simply overwriting the file.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Andreas%20Achilleos\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\mmc.jpg[/img]

hello Ben,

I have some questions regarding the data logger. As it shows in the pic taken from the flowcode program, you can see that in the "if statements" it writes only "retval", should not be there any ecual sign or less/more sign?
Also when I run the program at the end after the delay ends, it shows on the LCD> writting data /data error>that means that it was trying to write the csv values but the file was allready there?
When it reads from the ADC channel it takes only one value or 128? Saying that, the log file will have 128 c,s values?
Also if you remeber I was going to try to use the RFID reader and mmc reader in order to make a time attendance system. So every time a user swipes his rfid card the program should create a file e.x. log1 and then write it on mmc and automatically enter another loop for which the values will be written in a different log file e.x. log2?
OR the program should take 128 values and then write the log1 file before it creates log2? (can different named log files be created on the card?)
Also how many sectors of 512bytes can write? ( one card swipe should consist of: date/user/time in/time out e.x 25/12/2008 user5 13:45 16:55 ) >>can it assign all that values on the mmc card when a rfid card is being swiped ?
(Well the basic idea is for users to swipe their rfid cards, -this could happen many times for many users in one day- and data such as the above be written in the mmc card and after when the administrator exports the data on Excel he can sort them by user and estimate. (can the PIC used be an ECIO so that a PC software can access via USB the card and drag the data?)
Do not know if I am clear enough, please say if I am not.

Thank you in advance,
Achillis
Attachments
mmc.JPG
mmc.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 24722 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Achillis

Writing just the variable name in a decision icon will have the functionality of returning a no if the value is 0 or passing a yes if any other value.

Yes the program will also error if the file already exists. You could either check for the file and delete at the start of your program or append the file if it already exists. For the examples to work correctly you must delete the file by hand using a computer.

Each ADC channel read only creates on piece of information.

You can use the slower method to write single pieces of data if you do not want to fill up the 512 byte buffer before sending off the data to the card.

What about making a file for each RFID card that is scanned. If the file already exists then a time and date is appended to the card using the slower method of appending data. If the file doesnt already exist then a warning goes off etc. Also might want to append check in and check out if you have seperate RFID readers for the entry and exit. Or use a single file and simply append every RFID action to the card as it happens. The Slow method of appending data will be more useful to you here and is only Slow in terms of shifting large amounts of data (eg KBs or MBs, its actually quite fast still).

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

Assuming that a RFID card is swiped and a log file named "Rfid1.csv" is created. Then after 10 min the user again swipes his RFID card, then according to the program's configuration, the display should show error, yes? But the whole point is that; for the program to hold multible records per RFID card swiped. Can I make a csv counter and every time the same RFID card is swiped to increment the csv file? >> Rfid1.csv...Rfid2.csv....and so on.
If the file already exists then a time and date is appended to the card using the slower method of appending data
This one I did not quite understand! Also where it gets the time and date?
If the file doesnt already exist then a warning goes off etc
Warning on the LCD?>Should not be the other way around, if the file exists then alarm?

Now maybe I understand after studying more carefully the "data_logger_simple_slow.fcf" but I am letting the above question for you to see the nature of my concerns!

So I will create a CSV file for each RFID card>e.x. log1.csv for RFID card #1 and so on... and after when the RFID reader recognises that specific RFID card the software will call the component macro and append data to that specific file?
By calling the command on the component macro "append _string_to_file" then I can have many different info comma separated under the same filename/log.csv?

If this is the case then I might have a draft code pretty soon but the difficult part I think it will be the date and year counter!!!

Also Ben can you explain to me the following code sample from the flowcode example: filestring = ToString$(ADC_Val)
filestring = filestring + ", "

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards
Achillis

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Forgot something to say regarding the "data_logger_simple_slow.fcf"
When I run it with simulation speed: 10 then after when the simulation completes the LCD shows: "writting data
data written"

If I run the simulation "as fast as possible" then it will display: "writting data
data error"

After some 50 "runs" the error also is displayed in simulation speed 10!!!!!!

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello
Can I make a csv counter and every time the same RFID card is swiped to increment the csv file?
Yes
If the file already exists then a time and date is appended to the card using the slower method of appending data
This one I did not quite understand! Also where it gets the time and date?
Appending data refers to the attached example named "Data_Logger_Simple_Slow"
Time and date would have to be generated from the PIC or by interfacing a real time clock IC.
Warning on the LCD?>Should not be the other way around, if the file exists then alarm?
If the file does not exist then that might signify an unauthorised access attempt. Eg time for alarm. You would have to create files for every member of staff before the system could start logging times etc.
So I will create a CSV file for each RFID card>e.x. log1.csv for RFID card #1 and so on... and after when the RFID reader recognises that specific RFID card the software will call the component macro and append data to that specific file?
Sounds good to me.
By calling the command on the component macro "append _string_to_file" then I can have many different info comma separated under the same filename/log.csv?
Yes, You could have your entire staff database in one file if you wished.

Code: Select all

filestring = ToString$(ADC_Val) //Converts the variable ADC_Val into a Ascii String representing the decimal value of the variable.
filestring = filestring + ", "                //Adds a comma and a space to the end of the string
When I run it with simulation speed: 10 then after when the simulation completes the LCD shows: "writting data
data written"
At the moment the Beta components and the FAT component (if you have the non custom code version) do not simulate. Any results you get while simulating are random at best.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

Thank you a lot for your reply, it was very helpful.
I have allready placed an order to my local supplier for the RFID reader and SD/MMC reader, so shortly I will have also the hardware to begin tests.

Regarding the real time clocks, where can I find them? Can I supply from Matrix Multimedia? Do they need complex configuration or special programming knowledge? Will it easily embed with the RFID/SD/MMC boards? can it keep track of day, month and year?

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,
Achillis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Achillis

Great about the RFID reader and SD/MMC card boards they are v handy in my opinion. Also bit of fun.

The real time clocks are essentially just ICs that may require an external crystal circuit. They should be really simple to wire up so you could use vero board etc to attach the board to the E-Block system.

The chips run on either the I2C or the SPI bus. SPI is faster and simpler to understand but requires 1 more I/O pin then the I2C alternative. They are simple devices though and I think we should even have an example program somewhere written by Sean.

The chips essentially are set with a time and date and then increment from there so whenever you need a valid time, day, month, year marker you can poll the external chip. Alternativly you could set this functionality up inside your microcontroller by using a timer interrupt, this would require a larger amount of coding so it depends if your stronger in working with Flowcode or with adding your own hardware.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

hello Ben,

I have just received the RFID board and looking forward to start the project(timekeeping)!
I have one fear though that I might not get it to work with the RTC board! If please, can you take a look at some datasheets of a RTC board and tell me if it is easy to be connected with the RFID board and if you can help me connecting them?
The board is from Futurlec>> http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_DS1307.shtml I will try to attach some datasheets. Remember that I do not understand a lot about programming codes, just GUI components of FLowcode!!!

Here are some considerations:
1. If my input/output devices will be the RFID board and RFID card then code such as:
filestring = ToString$(ADC_Val) //Converts the variable ADC_Val into a Ascii String representing the decimal value of the variable.
I will have to change them considering that I will not have to read ADC values? Or completely remove them?

2. Can I acccess the MMC/Sd card reader(through USB/ECIO40P) in real time from a PC through visual studio software, in order to read the data from the card? That is for not being have to take out the card and insert it directly in the PC.

3. You said before that I can increment a csv file. Example: When a user swipes the RFID card#1 the log file log1.csv will be created, when user swipes the RFID card #2 the another log file log2.csv will be created. But since I cannot interact real time with the ECIO40P then the trick must be that the PIC when A new RFID card is being swiped will automatically assign to it a user number, or I will have a "config" button on the keypad board and when I press it then the PIC will ask on the LCD screen to press one number in order when I swipe the RFID card to assign that number(identification number) to the RFID card. So on when the specific card is being swiped for the first time, the system will create a log file with the card's "identification number" e.x log3.csv and if it will be swipped again to write data on the same log file.

4. Regarding the above: if at the "string manipulation" icon we state that>> filename = "log1.csv", then how I can increment it since it is a string value?

I hope that I am clear with my questions!

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,
Achillis
Attachments
RTC.rar
(116.55 KiB) Downloaded 724 times

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

The rest of the datasheets!!!
Attachments
Copy of DS1307.pdf
(122.63 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
app701.pdf
(45.32 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Achillis

The RTC module you linked looks good. It is a I2C connection so you should be able to use the I2C component in Flowcode to talk to the device. If you get stuck here then I know a bit about I2C operations and should be able to shine some light.

Yes you can access the SD/MMC card in real time using the USB serial or USB Slave components. This should be fairly simple to acheive.

You could add the new user functionality. Basically the ID on a RFID card could tie into a filename eg the first 8 digits are used. If the file does not already exist then simply create it. Then append data to the file as you would normally.

You can increment the file name by doing this. Create a string variable called filename and a number variable called filenumber.
When you are passing the file string you will have to combine the filename and filenumber by doing the following.

filename = "Log"
filename = filename + ToString(filenumber)
filename = filename + ".csv"

Hope this helps.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,
Thank you a lot for your reply.
1. Allow me to set an example regarding the incrementation of the file name to see if I understood it!
>>I state to the program that the input value from the keypad board(I will have connected a keypad board) will be assigned to the variable(filenumber)
keypad=filenumber

After I state > filename="log"

So I will tell the program when I press the "config" button and after swipe an RFID card it will ask me for a number to input.
Then I press, for example #4 from keypad and it assignes #4 to the variable (filenumber) >> filenumber=keypad therefore filenumber=4
After through this command: filename = filename + ToString(filenumber) we will have this: [log4] and after through the other command: filename = filename + ".csv" we will have this: log4.csv.
Is that right?

2. Also you said that an RFID ID could tie into a filename. So I will state that the above filename for example: log4.csv will be assigned to a specific RFID card? You said about first 8 digits, so it should be better like this: log00004.csv? I will call the RFID component macro(in order to assign ID to RFID) and then choose:(please tell me which one) Write_RFID_Module or Write_RFID_Buffer or Store_RFID_key? Then it will store the value:"log004" in the RFID's memory space. So when the RFID card is being swipped again, another component macro will read the value and assign it to the current filename string(is this possible?)in order for the custom component to write on the specific file name.
E.x the RFID card 'log00012' has been swiped, therefore the current .csv file will be renamed to log00012.csv and the custom component will append the data on it.

I hope I was clear!!!
I will soon have a simple test fcf file and sent it in order for you to see!

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards,
Achillis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Achillis

1) Yes you are correct. You could even store the number onto the RFID device so the user would not have to press the keypad for the file number to be gathered.

2) Ah your already 1 step ahead of me, Yes this is what I was thinking. Just make sure to keep the filename below or on the maximum size of 8.3 eg AAAAAAAA.BBB max.

Great looking forward to the test project.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

I will try in the weekend to create a test file, although the log on the MMC card will be only time stampped and will not be any day or month because I have not yet orderd the RTC clock!
Also I hope that I will be able to merge the time keeping flowcode example that Matrix has with the project.
As far as the data logging, if I remeber correct you have said to me before that I must have a 18Fxxx PIC instead of 16fXXX? Or that was regarding the interrupt issue for the hour keeping?
Thank you,
Best Regards,
Achillis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Achillis

You will need a 18F device to be able to run the FAT driver code. This is beacuse the driver code uses an array of 512 bytes to store the disk information from the current sector.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

Still working on the test file!
I just wanted to know that in order to store the ID number on the RFID card, which command is the most suitable?
>>> Write_RFID_Module ?
>>> Write_RFID_Buffer ?
>>> Store_RFID_key ?

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards,
Achillis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

There is a RFID help file located in the Flowcode V3 folder.

Also there are a load of Flowcode example programs and our RFID solution manual available from here.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/abouteb ... ions-X.php

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello,

It is going to take a while for the test program but I think it will worth it!

I am still reading the RFID manual! Has a lot of interesting information!

ALSO Ben the reason I am posting is that I think that there is a spelling error(but importand one!) in the manual; I am referring to this: EB829-80-1-unlicensed_version.pdf
Tha error is at page 77 / 15.5 section
"select the Write_RFID_Buffer macro, and add address’5’ and Key_Type ‘0’ to the Properties box, to write the contents of the buffer to block 5 of the transponder memory; • then return to the main program loop."
I think that it should say "select the Write_RFID_Block macro........" instead of " Write_RFID_Buffer"

That is because of the things mentioned earlier does not make sense and because if you open the properties of the write_rfid_buffer; no such thing as: Key_Type option is available!
It is available only in: Write_rfid_block!!!

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Achillis

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

I think that I might be getting somewhere regarding the RFID comp. for time keeping and for transactions.
I will have a colleaque of mine to write me a software in C# , in order to send commands to the ECIO40 and to read the values stored on the MMC card.
My question is that my colleaque will have to have some driver or other in order to read from the card?
Will I have to send the data out(to the pC) from the USB component? Or have the PC "go" and "get" them from the card?

Also Ben I would like your advice. What do you think, it would be best for the ECIO to communicate with a PC through USB or via the internet board(tcp/ip)?
This is for my project for time keeping through the RFID board.

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,
Achillis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Achillis

I would go for the USB option as its probably a lot less hassle then trying to program C# code to drive the TCP IP functionality. Depends what your programmer has experience with though. If he has talked to DLL files before or used COM ports then the USB method will probably be much simpler.

If you go to the main USB Pack page of our website (linked from the main front page) then you will find a complete download containing a set of VB and Labview examples for driving the USB slave device. Alternativly you could use the USB serial device if your cable needs to be fairly long and this way you can have an intelligent RS232 to USB adapter using either an ECIO or an off the shelf converter. If you do go the RS232 route then you will have to convert signal levels between the USB connection and the ECIO RFID device using a MAX232 or similar chip.

Using the USB slave method the PC must start every transaction.

Using the USB Serial method, USB HID or TCP IP methods the PC or the ECIO can both initiate a data transaction.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

Thank you for your reply.
When you are saying to use the USB serial you mean to plug a USB cord(Btype) to the ECIO and the other end would be D-type(RS 232) DB9? And on the D-type after I will attach the MAX232 in order to convert the signal and then connect it to the PC?

Sounds a lot of trouble and hassle, at least for me!

Can I just use the USB HID in order to send commands(as in the form of bytes or characters) through a USB cable to a PC? After the software will read the commands and act appropriate.
So can happen vice versa. Can the PC send bytes or characters and the ECIO as soonas it "picks up" the commands and respond?

Thank you,

Best Regards,
Achillis