Programming MIAC with expansion module

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Dave Squibb
Flowcode v5 User

Programming MIAC with expansion module

Post by Dave Squibb »

Hi,
I have used Flowcode 6 to program MIAC modules with no problems. I now have a project that requires more IO and would like to use an expansion module. I can see that the units are connected using the CAN bus. I also read somewhere that the expansion module is programmed with a program downloadable from your website? I have opened a Project in Flowcode 6 and selected Miac System as the target.
How do I (for example) tell the program to turn on an output in the expansion module?
Thanks, Dave.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Programming MIAC with expansion module

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Dave,
post I read on this, it was stated that it's not available for Flowcode V6.
Only Matrix staff would know if it's planned to go in V6 in the future or not?
Sorry can't help you anymore than that.

Martin
Martin

Dave Squibb
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Dave Squibb »

Thanks for that Martin. I have used the Miac quite a lot. For me its major shortcoming is its lack of outputs. I don't like to use the relay outputs due to their limited life so that leaves only 4.
When I found the basic expansion module it solved all of my problems.
It seems from the post you pointed out that you need Flowcode 5 to program it? (I upgraded from V4 to V6!) The expansion modules are still being sold https://www.matrixtsl.com/product.php?P ... PHPSESSID= . Can someone from Matrix please confirm what is needed to program them?
Thanks, Dave.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The MIAC add-ons are really good, we wanted to support them in Flowcode 6 but they seemed to always be the last thing on the list and therefore repeatedly got dropped off. As far as I am aware there is no plan to support them in Flowcode 6 however I am currently chasing the policy on this as you're right that there is no mention of this on the add-on product page.

I will also see if we could potentially sort you out a free v5 license to allow you to use the add-on if that suits your needs. Could you please send me your Matrix user name and I will confirm your purchase.

Edit - Our policy is to offer v5 to anyone who has bought v6 and wants to use the MIAC add-ons. PM me with your Matrix account username and I will sort you out a license. We are also looking to change the add-on product pages to make things more obvious.

secs

Post by secs »

Hi guys and Ben.

As you may see in another thread I have been in I plan to use some EIOC modules for stuff I make in the electronc field. However in following up your suggestion, I had a look around you web site and found the MIAC units. I am an industrial electrician by trade and have been using Allen Bradley PLCs in mining and food production for years. However for one of projects they are cost preventative. Too Bloody Expensive.

Now I too want to play with the MIACS and found this thread after trying to use the MIAC stuff in FC6. I have to purchase a PIC licence but would like to play to see what I can do via simulation etc. Can you also tell me what I have to do for a FC5 licence? I too am very interested in the expansion modules for remote IO's

Peter

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Peter,

For playing around with Flowcode v6 you can simply sign up for a user account here http://www.matrixtsl.com/accounts/register.php

And this will provide you with a free 30 day trial.

If you want to explore the MIAC add-ons then I can also generate you a 30-day trial for Flowcode v5 so you can compare and contrast. Then if v5 and the MIAC add-ons are working well for you then I'm sure we could find an arrangement to provide you with a permanent v5 license.

Would this help?

secs

Post by secs »

Thanks Ben. So that means I can download version 5? I already have and own 6 (and wrapped in the product and the support) and I would need to use the expansion modules so as I see you mentioned here, there is no current support for the expansions planned in 6. If it happens well good and if it doesnt, nothing lost. I got 6 for arduinos anyways.

I would like to ask though, is the MIAC and expansions going to be continued? And if so where could I find a link to version 5?

Regards, Peter

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Peter,

Have your questions been answered and have you got all you need?

Just to summarize, MIAC is alive and well and will be for some time, in fact we are adding to the range next year.

As for the MIAC Expansion Modules, as Ben mentioned, the workload for getting support for them into V6 seemed to be prohibitive,
this was mainly down to simulation support. (I'd like to get a component created to support them for target code at least, but it all depends upon relative priorities)

In the meantime, the official policy is to offer v5 to anyone who has bought v6 and wants to use the MIAC add-ons (aka Expansion Modules).

Leigh

secs

Post by secs »

Thanks Leigh.

After your reply re the MIAC still being supported, I would like to progress with it. I own a copy of version 6 but not the PIC license. I have the one for Arduino with the rs232 and extra bits. Who do I contact to get a price on version 5 PIC (I guess thats the version I need). Sorry about the delay in responding.

Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Peter,

One of my colleagues will PM you today regarding this.

Regards,
Steve.

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hi peter,

Hopefully this has been resolved now, if not please either reply to this thread or PM me if there are still problems.

secs

Post by secs »

Hi David. No not resolved as yet. Still waiting on a PM regarding costs etc

Peter