Panel Graphics/Text Manipulation

Moderator: Benj

mytekcontrols

Panel Graphics/Text Manipulation

Post by mytekcontrols »

First of all; I absolutely love the addition of this Panel Creation feature. This is something that LabView has had for years, and it is truly a pleasure to see its implementation in FlowCode V4. However after using it for a few days, I do have some suggestions, which I believe should be doable with a few minor tweaks.

Suggestion #1: allow groups of objects to be moved using X,Y positioning in a properties window, same as is true for an individually selected object. Presently (unless I am mistaken) a grouped collection of objects can only be moved by using the mouse to drag it.

Suggestion #2: When either a grouped set of objects, or an individual object is selected, allow for a 1 pixel move in either the X or Y axis by using the arrow keys on the keyboard (and perhaps a 5 and/or 10 pixel move by using the Shift or Control keys in combination with the arrow keys).

Suggestion #3: allow for double-clicking on an object to bring up the objects main property window (same result as right click, and select Ext Properties). I find this particular property selection to be the most used, and it would be nice to have a quick shortcut to make it happen.

Suggestion #4: allow for both X and Y rescaling of a switch object. Presently there is only the single slider, which scales by retaining aspect ratio (no possibility to stretch the image in either direction). Basically make it the same as an LED object in this respect.

Suggestion #5: allow for object to be rescaled in any direction by grabbing a handle, and dragging with the mouse.

Suggestion #6: I'm not sure if this is a bug, but apparently it is not possible to place a text object in front of a graphic object such as an LED. I tried using "Bring to Front" on the text, but it still stays behind the LED. And a graphic object doesn't seem to have any way to move it either back or forward. So other then using a custom graphic image, I can find no way to label directly over a graphic object such as a switch or LED. So my suggestion is either "allow text objects to be placed over graphic objects" or "add a labeling aspect in the graphic object's property window".

I know this is a lot of suggestions, but I really do believe if they were all implemented that the Panel Creation aspect in FlowCode 4 would be much easier.

BTW; I am using the latest 4.3 version of FlowCode for PICs.
Last edited by mytekcontrols on Tue May 18, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael St. Pierre
FlowCode V3&V4 Pro Registered User
Manufacture: Heat Load Controllers,
and a variety of other widgets.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Panel Graphics/Text Manipulation

Post by Benj »

Some great suggestions there Michael many thanks for your input.

These will be taken into consideration for the next major revision.

mytekcontrols

Re: Panel Graphics/Text Manipulation

Post by mytekcontrols »

Thanks Ben,

Since we are talking about waiting on this until the next major revision, I just thought of one more possibility that would be really cool and useful.

Suggestion #7: allow grouped objects to have the option to be retained as a permanent group (with un-grouping as yet another option). Both grouping and un-grouping could be done as a selection available by right clicking with the mouse.

Of course much of what I am describing, are common aspects available in many graphics programs (so nothing new, but very useful none the less).
Michael St. Pierre
FlowCode V3&V4 Pro Registered User
Manufacture: Heat Load Controllers,
and a variety of other widgets.