String Errors on Successful Compile? SUPPRESSING WARNINGS

Moderator: Benj

jaynason

String Errors on Successful Compile? SUPPRESSING WARNINGS

Post by jaynason »

Hello,
This does not prevent me from compiling, but it is strange and disturbing in a strangely disturbing kind of way :)

Are these from compile warnings?

Can I suppress these?

Thoughts?
Last edited by jaynason on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Setting the Standard for Precision Testing Equipment Since 1908

Enamul

Re: String Errors on Successful Compile?

Post by Enamul »

Can you please post your program so that we can have a look what is going wrong?
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

jaynason

Post by jaynason »

Enamul wrote:Can you please post your program so that we can have a look what is going wrong?
Sure thing.
(Disclaimer from our legal guys: These files are property of Emerson Apparatus Co., Inc. and may not be distributed in whole or in part.)

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi,
Which version FC_ARM you are using to compile the file? I don't have professional licence for compiling this file. I have tried with free version and I have received similar error as it will not allow me to simulate all components..In a quick look, it also seems to me it doesn't allow to compile string manipulation.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I think I have found the problem for the errors and the bugs has already been fixed ready for the next update release.

For now you can apply the fix by downloading the attached file and copying it into your "Flowcode(ARM)\v5\CAL\ARM" folder.
Attachments
ARM_CAL_UART.c
(21.17 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

jaynason

Post by jaynason »

I am using FlowCode for ARM 5.3.0.0 professional

Benj, I have just recompiled (compile to HEX) with the patch provided in place and have 64 string errors reporting, while the compile log shows a successful compile.
The error list (shown) has not changed from the patch I received from David to this patch you provided above.

Thanks for looking into this.
Last edited by jaynason on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hello. The issue is a bad phrasing of 'Errors' - maybe this should be 'Errors and Warnings', or 'Messages'.

Flowcode does not know what are errors from the compiler and what are warnings - all compilers output are the text and no two compilers have consistent output. All Flowcode sees is a message showing the C file name and a line number and assumes this is an error, so reports it. In future versions we may try to correct this and make the check more strict (it was suggested to only list errors if compilation fails, for example) but until then any warnings that output will be listed in this window. They may be ignored if the compilation succeeds.

The warnings are produced by volatile variables being passed as non-volatile arguments. There may be a GCC command line compiler option to turn this warning - or all warnings - off.

If you minimize this window hopefully it should not be too much in the way.

Cheers,

Jonny

jaynason

Post by jaynason »

thanks JonnyW I figured that was the case, as compiling was successful.
Definately interested in suppressing warnings.

After some research, I found the following:
3.8 Options to Request or Suppress Warnings

Warnings are diagnostic messages that report constructions that are not inherently erroneous but that are risky or suggest there may have been an error.

The following language-independent options do not enable specific warnings but control the kinds of diagnostics produced by GCC.

-fsyntax-only
Check the code for syntax errors, but don't do anything beyond that.
-fmax-errors=n
Limits the maximum number of error messages to n, at which point GCC bails out rather than attempting to continue processing the source code. If n is 0 (the default), there is no limit on the number of error messages produced. If -Wfatal-errors is also specified, then -Wfatal-errors takes precedence over this option.
-w
Inhibit all warning messages.
-Werror
Make all warnings into errors.
-Werror=
Make the specified warning into an error. The specifier for a warning is appended, for example -Werror=switch turns the warnings controlled by -Wswitch into errors. This switch takes a negative form, to be used to negate -Werror for specific warnings, for example -Wno-error=switch makes -Wswitch warnings not be errors, even when -Werror is in effect.
The warning message for each controllable warning includes the option that controls the warning. That option can then be used with -Werror= and -Wno-error= as described above. (Printing of the option in the warning message can be disabled using the -fno-diagnostics-show-option flag.)

Note that specifying -Werror=foo automatically implies -Wfoo. However, -Wno-error=foo does not imply anything.

-Wfatal-errors
This option causes the compiler to abort compilation on the first error occurred rather than trying to keep going and printing further error messages.
So, I tried the following:
in Flowcode(ARM)\v5\Tools\MX_bats\arm7comp.bat change

Code: Select all

@arm-elf-gcc -c -mcpu=arm7tdmi -Os -funsigned-char -I"%~dp0..\Global" -std=gnu99 -Wa,-aln=%1.lst %1.c -o %1.o
to

Code: Select all

@arm-elf-gcc -c -w -mcpu=arm7tdmi -Os -funsigned-char -I"%~dp0..\Global" -std=gnu99 -Wa,-aln=%1.lst %1.c -o %1.o
It seems to work, warnings are suppressed.

Please can you check this and make sure that is proper (I am not messing something up by doing this)?
Thanks!

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

I don't see what this could mess up, there is nothing in the exe and it should not affect compilation, just the compiler output. Warnings are cosmetic only.

Glad you got it sorted.

Jonny

jaynason

Post by jaynason »

Cheers all. thanks for the assist.

Suggestion: make this a compiler option in Flowcode "Suppress Warnings"