PIC18F4550 + Zigbee problem

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

isceglovs

PIC18F4550 + Zigbee problem

Post by isceglovs »

Hi!

I am working on the Flowcode V3 to connect two PIC18F4550 Microcontrollers via a wireless link. I have two Zigbee modules, the Coordinator and the End node. I have tried the Zigbee Factory Test from the Matrix Multimedia Learning Centre and the test was successfully passed on the PIC16F877A, but when I tried to change the PIC to PIC18F4550, the test was always failed. Because RC3 pin is absent on the PIC18F4550 I have changed the Component connections. The only issue that I can think of is the configuration of the PIC18F4550 device. Can you please help me with that?

Things I have done to change the PIC Microcontroller:

1. Tested Zigbee plugged into PORTC of PIC16F877A. Test was successful.
2. Took the Zigbee out of PORTC, and connected everything with the wires. Test was successful.
3. Changed RTS, CTS and SLEEP Component connections in the Flowcode and the wires to the PIC. Test was still successfull.
4. Changed the Target Chip t PIC18F4550 in the Flowcode and the PIC on the Development board. Test was failed.
5. Tried to change the configuration of PIC18F4550. Test was failed.

The attached FCF file is the changed Factory Test code.

Thank you!
Attachments
Zigbee test 18.fcf
(7 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: PIC18F4550 + Zigbee problem

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Please try these configuration settings and the device should work correctly using the 19.6608MHz crystal. The settings not shown I think you had correct anyway.
Config.jpg
Config.jpg (135.22 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
You should also be aware that the USB data pins RC4 and RC5 cannot be used as standard digital outputs. Though they will work fine as inputs. Pins RC0, RC1 and RC2 should be ok for the additional connections required by the Zigbee.

isceglovs

Post by isceglovs »

Yes! The test is successful! Thank you! So the configuration of the PIC and the Crystal ( I have used 20Mhz, but 19.6 was needed ) were the issues. After testing both, the Coordinator and the end node Zigbee Modules with the test file, I have followed instructions in ZigBee Teachers Course Notes to make the code for Coordinator and End Node.

It seemed that two Zigbees are connected to each other, as I remember the last verbose message on both LCDs was AFTROK, but unfortunately, after they connected to each other they both went to the next level where they have to communicate by sending RS232 Signals, but nothing happend. I have simplified the code for Coordinator to send '1' and for End Node to receive it and display when '1' is received, but nothing worked either.

I have attached the code to this post. In the next post I will add screenshots of Zigbee configuration.
Can you please tell me what have I done wrong, and what can I do to make them communicate?
Attachments
Router_new.fcf
Simple End Node code
(13.5 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Coord_new.fcf
Simple Coordinator code
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Last edited by isceglovs on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isceglovs

Post by isceglovs »

The following are the screenshots of Zigbee configuration for both, Coordinator and End node.
Attachments
End node Zigbee config(second try)
End node Zigbee config(second try)
Router_new2.jpg (55.25 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
End node Zigbee config(first try)
End node Zigbee config(first try)
Router_new.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
Coordinator Zigbee config
Coordinator Zigbee config
Coord_new.jpg (55.17 KiB) Viewed 5310 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

You seem to have two nodes named Device. I dont thin kthis is allowed to have multiple devices wth the same name. Are you using the connect to macros to set up the recipient before you try and send data? You may also have to call the leave AT command mode to ensure that you are back in data mode before you try sending anything.