Some figures to coarse chapters are missing

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Huib Koppers

Some figures to coarse chapters are missing

Post by Huib Koppers »

Now i have another kind of problem that i can't see some visual items which belongs to each coarse chapter

For some visual items i got the message;

"No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.4.2 support for APPLET!!"

This version of Java is installed on my system and stil got this message

I think the java components within de C4AVR CD are for XP environments which i do not have.

My Windows version is Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

How can I solve the Java problem so I can see the visual items which belongs to each coarse chapter ?

Kind Regards

Huib

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: Some figures to coarse chapters are missing

Post by DavidA »

Hello Huib,

Have you tried running the program in xp compatability mode? If you right click on the shortcut and go to properties, then click on the compatibility tab, you can try running the program in xp service pack 3 mode and see if that works.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

We'll try to replicate this problem here and hopefully find a solution for you.

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Do you know what version of java are you running?

(you can find this out by going to control panel, then click on the java icon, then in the general tab of the java options, click the "about" button).

Huib Koppers

Post by Huib Koppers »

Hello Steve and David,

Thanks for your fast replies.

Here are the answers on your questions;

By running C4AVR in XP SP3 compatible mode i got the same issues as mentioned earlier.

If I run C4AVR on XP 32bit as a virtual image on SUN VirtualBox then the images are well projected by each coarse chapter.

The Java version which is installed on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit is Java Version 6 Update 20 (build 1.6.0_20-602)

I hope this will help you for further investigations

If there are other things that i can help by some testing issues let me know this are my platform applications and components;
Windows 7 pro 64 bit with XP-32bit virtual image on Sun Virtualbox
AVR Studio 4.18 SP2
ARM FlowCode V3 with AT91SAM7s256 and Olimex SAM7-P256
PIC FlowCode V3
AVR FlowCode V4
C for AVR
AVR Dragon programmer
Pololu USB ISP Programmer
Stk500 + Stk501 Board with AT90S8515, AT90S8535, ATmega16, ATmega88, ATmeaga128
Arduino Mega (ATmega1280) board

Kind Regards

Huib

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hello Huib,

Could you try and go to http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and seeing if that is all working ok.

Huib Koppers

Post by Huib Koppers »

Hi David,

I got the message that my Installed Java is working oké

Gr.

Huib

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hi again Huib,

I beleive I have found the problem, if you go into your control panel and look at the Java icon, it will say either just Java or Java (32 bit).

Now for some reason the standard java downloader from the main website always defaults to install the 32 bit Java. Now the course will need you to be running the 64 bit java instead. So if it says Java (32 bit) then you will have to uninstall all versions of Java, then reinstall the 64 bit version.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_64/

There is a link for a download for the 64 bit Java version, strangely enough i couldnt find it on the official site, but if you do go there make sure it is the 64bit version you are downloading.

http://www.java.com

Hope this helps.

Huib Koppers

Post by Huib Koppers »

Hello David,

Yes the image problem by Java has now been solved

Another thing and should be in the FlowCode forum but maybe it is helpfull for you as extra information it seems that an another problem i had to deal with in AVR FlowCode V4 has been solved to

Sometimes de C compiler of AVR FlowCode V4 crashes with error "1"
I have tried a lot of programms which i am sure that it crashes for most by the second time if i had made a change in de flowcode programm
Now that i have installed the Jave x64 version by compiling the changes in FlowCode the error "1" has been disappeared and Flowcode V4 is now compiling error free

Thanks !

Kind regards

Huib

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Huib,

That seems strange but thanks for letting us know your findings.

I have recently had problems using Flowcode AVR on a Win 7 64-bit machine. The program would compile but then the next time I try to compile it would always return 1 without actually compiling. If I restarted Flowcode then I could compile once again before the limitation kicked in. I have also seen this happen on Flowcode PIC but it is far less frequent.

To fix this I had to move the Flowcode project file to a library I had created. My Documents folder is in a library by default so you can use this location if you like. After I did this I could not replicate the problem. The problem seems to stem from Windows 7 access rights and seems to be a fundemental problem with Windows itself. It looks like they might have broken the basic way that files work when they were creating the library functionality.

Basically if you are developing on a Windows 7 environment then all may not be as it seems regarding your files and accessing them. Take for example running textpad and editing a file in the Flowcode directory. Because it is inside the program files directory you cannot actually save the file unless textpad specifically has administrator rights. However textpad will tell you it has saved ok because there is no error sent from the OS. What is worse is that if you open the edited file in the same program eg textpad your changes will be there in the file. However if you open the file with another text viewer you will see that the changes are indeed not there. This caught me out quite badly so you have been warned.

Huib Koppers

Post by Huib Koppers »

Hello Ben,

I have had some of your discovered problems with windows 7 it has nothing to do with the subject "missing image or figures" but maybe this is helpfull information for you;

1. ) Under security tab the Acces and writing permission rights esspecially when you have a second drive D:\ to mount to Windows 7 because in my case all my documents i have putting there and i thought that it was very easy to upgrade to windows 7 without loosing all my work but sadly it was not.
So I had to change the owner ship (under security tab) by replacing it by administrator rights and new account type and remove the old owner ship which was from XP OS.
And be sure that the checbox is set for all subfolders by doing this.

2. ) Also payed attention to the directory path lenght of the saved Flowcode or AVR studio files, if the directory path is to long (where the c source is saved) then errors coming up for both AVR Studio v4.18 SP2 and AVR flowCode V4.
In case of AVR Studio 4 SP2 i had also to import the MX_Utils to AVR Studio 4 and now its also possible to work with the compiler from AVR Studio without any errors so have now 2 possibillities to compile the FlowCode files.

But the real cause for the error "1" that with my experience was solved by installing the new Java 64bit version is still a big question for me and you are right it's very strange and it has logically nothing to do with FlowCode Compiler.

Kind regards

Huib

Huib Koppers

Post by Huib Koppers »

Hello Ben,

I have send the program by PM

Also the error 1 is returned again

Kind regards

Huib

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Huib,

I think the problem with the SPI locking up is related to the SS pin (B0) on the SPI peripheral of an AVR device. The SPI seems to lock if this pin is left as a floating input when enabling the SPI bus. If you use this pin as the chip select pin or alternativly set this pin to an output using an output icon then the SPI should work correctly. As a side note from looking at your program I would remove the SPI ints and Unints from the outside of your SPI transactions and instead simply have a SPI_Init call in your initialise function. Other then that the program should work ok.

Sean knows more about this problem then me he may be able to shine more light on why this is happening.

As for the return code = 1 error you can fix this by adding the project folder to a library. Eg grab the folder in a windows explorer and drag it into the libraries section on the left of the window. This seems to hand back control of the files to the user and allows the compilation to work correctly.

Huib Koppers

Post by Huib Koppers »

Hello Ben,

Yes, the SPI hang problem is solved by holding the SS/B0 pin "high"

Thanks for your help !

kind regards

Huib