Prescaling the clock and creating a delay

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

DaveRoberts

Prescaling the clock and creating a delay

Post by DaveRoberts »

Hello,

I am totally new to PICS and would like to create a time delay of between 5 or 10 seconds. Obviously with a clock speed of 3MHz a simple count is a big number. I am aware that the clock can be prescaled to give a 1:256 ratio meaning the count would be substantially less. The only problem is I do not know how to write the code for this. Can anyone help??

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

The easiest way to create a second delay is to create a function with a byte and an integer variable.

byte - inner_loop
int - outer_loop

then do something similar to the following.

for (outer_loop=0;outer_loop<3000;outer_loop++)
{
for (inner_loop=0;inner_loop<250;inner_loop++);
}

//Note this code is designed to work with a 3MHz crystal.

To create delays of more then one second simply add another for loop around the second delay structure.

If you need a very precise second timer then your better off using the Timer0 interrupt.

KeithSloan

Time delays in Assembler.

Post by KeithSloan »

For time delays in assembler I recommend PicLoops. It takes all the hardwork away http://www.mnsi.net/~boucher/picloops.html

Keith

DaveRoberts

Post by DaveRoberts »

This does not seem familiar to me. I did forget to mention that I am using the PIC16F84A. I assume the code you have sent me here is in C?

Dave

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Keith

That software looks great. Wish I had something like that back when I was writing assembler code.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Dave

The example code that Keith sent is in assembler. It should work fine with MPLAB or other similar PIC compilers. It will also work with your 16F84A chip.