Could not ID onboard Chip

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

facio3

Could not ID onboard Chip

Post by facio3 »

I have 3 multiprogrammer board (EB-006-00-6). They all say the same thing "Could not ID onboard chip" when I put in the 16F877A chip. I know its not the chip becuase I tried 6 new 16F877A and it all say the same thing "Could not ID onboard chip". It was working until today when I insert the chip to reprogram the chip. I downloaded all the latest driver and PPP program and it does not solve the problem. Now it says that the USB device is not working properly when I insert the board in, but it only say s it on one board only. I narrow it down to the PPP chip but not sure. Please help, thank you.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Could not ID onboard Chip

Post by Benj »

Hello

Were all three boards working and now none of the boards are working. If so then it sounds like your computer at fault. Try going into the device manager, finding the Matrix USB programmer, Opening the properties and under power management disabling the Windows power management. Another thing you could try is to use an external power supply. If you are using the USB supply then the chip cannot be programmed if the LVP enable bit in the configuration register has been disabled. You will need the full 12V programming voltage to re-enable that bit.

Hope this helps.

facio3

Post by facio3 »

I tried installing the boards onto different computers and it still have the same problem with the "Could not ID onboard Chip". I tried the chip with some of my classmate's board and they all work fine. I also tried their board on my computer and it works fine. At this point I'm believing its either the chip is gone bad or something is wrong with the board. I even Disable what you said and it still has the same problem. I do not know that the problem is now. Please help.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Facio

Which version of PPP are you using V3.9 is available for download if you are using a previous version. Also could you try replacing the PPP chip (its the other socketed IC on the board) with a PPP chip from a know working board to see if that fixes the problem. However for three boards to all fail at once with this problem does not seem possible. Maybe it would be worth while testing the circuitry with the schematic for the programming pins RB6 and RB7. This would prove that the board is not at fault.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Hi,

I have the same ID reading problems with my multiprogrammer board on a 16F84A-4/P.
Power (14V) and all settings are okΓ© (RC -> 2MHz, watchdog and code protection is OFF).

Do you have any idea how I can program still the chip?

I'm using very simpel test programs (for example portB, all ports ON).

The challenge is to program this chip and then use it on another prototype board. The RC circuit here is build with an 4K7 and 100p.

greetings,

Frank

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Frank

If you chip has ever been programmed with Write protection enabled then you will not be able to reprogram the chip.
Also switching the Oscillator switch to RC sometimes allows awkward chips to be detected and programmed.
You 14V supply should be providing enough power for the chip. Maybe also check that the Programming selector jumper is set to USB instead of IDC2. also worth while checking that the power selector jumper is set to PSU and not USB.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Hi,

Code protection was always off, the power can go to 600mA and the jumpers are correct set on the board.

I'm using the 16F84A - 4/P. (4MHz)
Is it possible to use the board in RC mode for this frequenty?

can I say 4MHz, XT in flowcode and still select XT on the board (even it is 20MHz on the board)

I have also a 16F84A - 20/P (20MHz)
Still no result in XT mode

any idea?

Frank

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Frank

Yes the 16F84As should all be able to use the RC mode.

Choosing an incorrect clock freqquency in Flowcode is normally a bad idea and can cause your chips to be placed into the wrong configuration mode. This will not damage the chip but will cause it not to run correctly.

RC frequencies are determined by the Hardware Speed selector switch and the Potentiometer. They are not defined by Flowcode.