Which PIC

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

KeithSloan

Which PIC

Post by KeithSloan »

I generally leave a PIC16F877A in my programmer as although it is over kill for a number of applications it supports all 5 ports and supports everything else I have ever needed i.e I2C etc. I just plug in the relevant E-Blocks and load the relevant software and go.

Now I want to create a simple application that I plan to build and run separately from the programmer. It only needs one data port ( in fact only one line ). I want to build with the minimum of hardware. I remember coming across applications that use a PIC's with an inbuilt clock, thus avoiding an external crystal or RC network, but cannot remember which PIC it would be.

That is I would like to reduce my project to PIC, Voltage regulator chip, InfraRed diode.

Anybody able to refresh my memory.

Thanks Keith

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Which PIC

Post by Steve »

The Microchip website has a good parametric search function that will allow you to select the appropriate features for your target chip:

http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSear ... &pageId=74

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

A 8 pin 12F series might be what you are looking for. I think that they all come with the internal oscillator as standard.

KeithSloan

Post by KeithSloan »

On Checking PPP, of the 12 family, it only seems to support 12F629 and 12F675 both of which run at 4Mhz.
Does that mean if I want to use one of the other 12 Family members I am out of luck as far as programming it is concerned.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

You may have to download the latest version of PPP from here.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/software/PPPv3.exe

This version supports the 12F609, 615, 629, 635, 675, 683

KeithSloan

Post by KeithSloan »

I already had version 3.9.12.26 installed.

I forgot that switching to expert mode gave the option of more PIC's than without.

Keith