BeagleBone Black

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Mantas

BeagleBone Black

Post by Mantas »

Hi everyone! :)

So I have just bought my first beagle series board - the new B^3. I am ready to take a leap from the world of microcontrollers to the world of microcomputers and the exciting world of embedded Linux. Has anyone done that already, and maybe can share their experience, and tell where and how they started? With ever growing community of open source development devices and systems I have already found some nice places to start, but would like to hear other people stories, maybe descriptions of their applications :)

Best regards,
Mantas
Science is my true religion.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: BeagleBone Black

Post by Benj »

Hi Mantas,

Been looking at the BeagleBone boards myself, be interested as to how you get on with it.

I've done some work in Python for the RaspberryPi including some basic I/O, Ethernet clients and servers and more recently an application to read a Keypad E-block and communicate using a GSM E-block. If you want any of my code then give me a shout.

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

Hi Benj,

The board should arrive next week. I never done any programming in an embedded OS, so it's an unseen world for me that I am willing to explore :) The nice place to start is http://derekmolloy.ie/. Once I get some basic knowledge how to work with GPIO I would love to have some of your code as well. I have some embedded linux books which are more than 800 pages, so I guess there is a lot to learn :) Maybe I will have a play with my collection of eblocks and BBB :) Anyway, the processing power on that board is mind boggling (2000 MIPS) and the processor already has all the industrial protocols inside like PROFINET, EtherCAT, CANbus and others. I guess now I need to take a pill of patience, to learn all that :)

Best regards,
Mantas

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Mantas, Benj,

I have just bought one myself this is it with a touchscreen fitted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9aU_YO ... ERnCxvQamQ

I would be interested in some ideas too if you don't mind, I have suggested that we have a section somewhere in the forum where we can talk about our projects, maybe Benj could sort that out :wink:

cheers
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

Hi Acestu,

Agree, it would be nice to have some separate thread for some other projects not related to flowcode, but I think this topic could be a start where we can share engineering expertise on various projects on BBB. Anyway I am a bit disappointed that they removed the JTAG debugging capability through USB. I didn't work with original BB, but as I understood know if you want to do some hacking you need a JTAG emulator, am I right? Or is it possible to use FTDI USB to UART 3V3 with JTAG drivers?

Regards,
Mantas

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Mantas,

Unfortunately I am a complete beginner with BBB and Raspberry Pi, and Linux, I do want to learn though, and produce something worthwhile and not a flashing LED :lol:
cheers
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi All,

Here are my Python programs for the RPi.
Sample Code.zip
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
I'm by no means an expert on Python but I managed to cobble together these working programs. Note that for the RPi you need to be in admin mode to get access to the pins and you need to disable the default debugger to gain access to the UART. Details of how to do this are on the RPi blog.

Seen the vid for the BB with gLCD touchscreen, looks very nice :D Let us know how your getting on.

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

Hi,

Just wanted to share one good tutorial link how to set up everything for C/C++ development:
http://www.michaelhleonard.com/cross-co ... one-black/

Now we need to hook up flowcode to it :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mantas

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

If someone is looking for a local Windows platform solution, I found one. You have to use Visual Studio (I am using 2013 ultimate, the express version does NOT work!) and download trial or as I buy a VisualGDB 4.1 addon for Visual studio, from Sysprogs, and install everything. Then follow the tutorials listed here: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/beaglebone/. You will also find tutorials for developing apps using Qt. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
Mantas